Monday, June 27, 2011

Sunday Evenings with Someone You Care About

Yesterday, our town had its Heritage Day Festival. Mainly we have an early 4th of July celebration since no one would stay in a smaller town to see fireworks when they could go to a close larger town. Mike had to work and said he would come over after 6pm when we got off. I was thrilled to see him.

For a shy guy he seems to fit in quite comfortably with everyone who was at my house. When he got here my two brothers, our friend Michael, and my two nephews were throwing little basketballs from across the yard while attempting to make a shot into our little fischer price hoop. I guess for boys this is entertaining. After a little while my step-sisters fiancee joins and the next thing I know is Mike is with them. From the gazebo, I just looked over at the group of guys, Mike included, and I smiled to myself. I loved that he found it easy to just be apart of it all. This is not something I do so well on my own. 


It got a little darker and being that my house is so close to the park we stayed in the front yard for the fireworks. Mike does this adorable thing when fireworks go off. He uses his hands and pretends that 'magically' he is setting them off. I couldn't help but look over at him and smile. 

After a while I reached over and started tracing my fingers over his neck and hair. He just leaned into me and relaxed. I can't help but love those moments. 

The rest of the evening was spent outside with the family setting off our own fireworks, which was entertaining. When that ended we ended up sitting inside. I leaned into Mike, somewhat tired, and I kept falling in and out of sleep. All the while he held me and had a chat with my two brothers. Later he mentioned how cool my brothers are and how he had fun talking to them. I told him that I just wanted to be with him, hence me just falling asleep in his arms, and that I was glad he was content just sitting at my house chatting with them. 

A while later he suggests getting a shake. I get into his car and he mentions how he'd like me to come over for the night if I wanted to. That would require me to go in the house, get my pjs, my toothbrush, and my car. I kissed him and started to get out of his car. He asked if I wanted anything while he was out to which I responded no. He mentioned how easy it was with me. For a moment, I wondered what his others girlfriends had been like exactly. I know I'm not like most girls, but am I really that much better?

I closed the door and looked back at him. He pointed at himself, made a heart shape with his hands, and then pointed at me. I smiled like a fool and walked back to my house. 

Can I keep him, despite the trouble we have with our friends? Will our happiness somehow survive the struggle they're putting on us?

I hope so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment